Here is another simple, healthy, and easy recipe for thoran, a ground coconut-based vegetable side dish common in Kerala cuisine. What I love about thoran is that you can use any of your favorite vegetables; the base of the recipe stays the same! This is one of my favorite combinations, not only for the yummy flavor, but for the vibrant green and orange colors. A few other favorite thoran recipes include shredded cabbage/carrot, kale, and Chinese eggplant. You can make all of these in the exact same manner! I’ve also got a tuna thoran recipe on the blog!
3 medium sized carrots, peeled, washed, and shredded
2 bunches green onion, chopped (I use the green and white parts)
3/4 cup fresh or frozen ground coconut (Unsweetened! You can find frozen at your local Indian/International Supermarket)
1/4 red or yellow onion, chopped
1 inch ginger, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 green chilies, chopped
1 heaping tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin powder (or can use whole cumin seeds)
2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp coconut oil
Salt and black pepper to taste.
- In a large frying pan or wok, heat oil and splatter mustard seeds. Cover with lid to prevent the seeds from splattering you. If using whole cumin seeds, add them at this step also.
- Add the chopped red onion, ginger, green chilies and sauté until onions translucent.
- Add coconut and sauté until slightly browned.
- Add garlic and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the carrots and green onions together.
- Add the turmeric, cumin powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Mix well and sauté until vegetables are cooked to your liking.
One Comment Add yours